With advancement in technology and science, comes constant threats from hackers and viruses. It is essential to keep computers protected at all cost. The most common pathway for malwares and viruses entering computer systems is through the internet. There are a number of ways to keep computers protected from malwares and viruses. However, using any one of these methods alone does not guarantee security. The more the layers of safety, the harder it gets for hackers to access the computers. Five steps to protect your PC from hackers and malwares are as follows:
- Installing Firewall – A firewall acts as a security guard for the computer system. Firewalls come in two different types – Software Firewall and Hardware Firewall. Each of them have their own benefits and serves different purposes. A firewall can be considered as the first step to keep computer systems secured. It acts as a barrier between the system and any unauthorized program that tries to enter the system. It is therefore, advisable to keep the firewall turned on permanently.
- Installing Antivirus Software – Antivirus software is another method to keep the computer protected. It keeps out any unauthorized code or a software from an outside system that may be a threat to the computer. Some unauthorized software are viruses, trojans, keyloggers etc. These software threaten the processing speed of computers, often times delete important data and access personal information. It is advisable to install an antivirus software regardless of whether the computer system is virus free or not.
- Installing Anti-Spyware Software – Spyware is a program that collects personal and confidential information about an organization or business without approval. The information collected is sold or directed to a third party. Spyware is a very tough software program to remove. Any anti-spyware software is designed solely for the purpose of protecting the computer system against any spyware. Anti-spyware software scans through the incoming data and bocks or creates a barrier against any threat to the PC.
- Use of Complex Passwords – The first safety procedure is to create a strong, complex and safe passwords. Complex passwords are difficult to hack into. It is advisable to use a password that has a combination of letters, numbers, upper case and lower case characters and special characters.
- Keeping a Regular Check on the Security Settings – Any browser and computer system has various settings to keep the PC safe and secure. It is in the best interest of the user to keep these settings updated and to a desired level.